Congregation History-Our congregational history was been written by Dr. Fred Gifun, Professor Emeritus of History from the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. He has been a member of the First Unitarian Church in New Bedford since 1983. Copies of his book, New Bedford's Church The First Unitarian Church in New Bedford: three hundred years of leadership and transformation are available in the office.
From the book, New Bedford's Church
The First Unitarian Church in New Bedford:
Three Hundred Years of Leadership and Transformation
"This church now celebrating its 300 anniversary [in 2008], began in 1708 at a time and in a place almost impossible for us to imagine. The town (parish) was Dartmouth, which then extended over 40 square miles, from Acushnet and Fairhaven in the east to sections of Little Compton and Tiverton in the west, with a European- descendent population of about 3,500. Transportation was difficult and slow, with an economy solidly based on agriculture. The theology of our ancestral Congregational church was strict predestination Calvinism, in the Puritan mold. However, this original church, despite its overwhelming foreignness to us, is the direct lineal ancestor of our present congregation.
The evolution of this church over three hundred years was shaped by a larger movement away from Calvinism, centering on the formulation and spread of Unitarian theology in New England in the first decades of the 19th
Century. The other major factor in the development of this church was its transformation from a rural, farming congregation in Acushnet, to a semi-urban church in the village of New Bedford, which became one of the richest cities of 19th
Century America. In the 1820s , the Rev. Orville Dewey became minister, and the church incorporated as The First Congregational Society in New Bedford. Probably because of Dewey's presence, many disaffected Quakers joined the Society at this time. These Friends were members of the most prominent and wealthy families of the city and they shaped the church for the next hundred years and more.
The church reached its peak of membership in the 1940’s (about 450 members, and 170 children in the Sunday school) during the pastorate of Rev. Duncan Howlett. In the 1950s, the congregation finally changed its name from The First Congregational Society, to the more descriptive, The First Unitarian Church in New Bedford. During the 1940s and 50s, the pew rental system was finally abandoned and the church began to lose some of its identification with the social and economic elite of the city. The current church is…seeking new ways to make its Unitarian principles relevant and attractive in a diverse and secular, post-modern society characterized both by religious indifference and evangelical fundamentalism."
Our building, which is Norman Gothic in style, was designed by the distinguished architects Alexander Jackson Davis and Russell Warren. Constructed in 1838 at a cost of about $40,000, it required 7,000 tons of granite, some blocks weighing as much as eight tons. The style of the interior details are Gothic, yet the spaciousness of the well-lighted interior and the simplicity and precision of the decorative elements have much in common with the Greek revival designs of same period. In 1868 a chapel was added behind the church. In 1896 the Parish House was constructed with a style of architecture matching the original church building. In 1955 office space and meeting rooms were constructed in the basement.
Read more about our mosaic.
THE CARPENTER’S SON – A Unitarian Painting
- Our Sanctuary. Photo by Robert Baldwin.
On March 1, 2007, First Unitarian in New Bedford transferred ownership of “The Carpenter’s Son,” a wonderful late-19th C. painting by Edward Emerson Simmons, to the Rotch-Jones-Duff House and Garden Museum.
Tryworks coffee was an institution in New Bedford in for 30 years. Open Friday nights, the Coffee house gave young people a safe place to gather in a setting free from alcohol and drugs. Many wonderful and talented musicians and story tellers have graced the Tryworks stage. Today, everyone is invited to join our First Friday Open Mic Night at 7pm in the Tryworks Auditorium.
Our Annual Jazz Service has become an institution in New Bedford. Each year in early June, local jazz artists join our service for a celebration of music. We appreciate the beauty and wonder that music brings to our lives and the Jazz concert is our way of celebrating this amazing music with the community.